Friday, July 21, 2006

What's in my garden?

I've been getting this question a lot lately, especially from fellow gardeners. What's in my garden? Well, for starters, if you are imagining a traditional garden, a rectangle of tilled soil, that's not what I have. I have two raised beds, about 6' by 2', that my brother helped me build and I filled with old mulch to make some good soil. This year Curt started all my plants in the greenhouse for me. I have tomatoes, LOTS of tomatoes: Better Boys, Early Girls and Romas. I probably will have 40 red tomatoes in the next week or so. I also have peppers, zucchini, squash and cucumbers. For now, since my plants went in late, I just have blossoms. Then I have more peppers in a strawberry pot, which my brother laughed at me for because he says they will be wild. So far so good! And I have six pots of herbs ... kind of a container garden with the Palm Tree and the peppers and the herbs on the back deck. Let's see, I have Basil (sweet and old fashioned), Rosemary, Parsley, Chives, Thyme and Dill. My garlic didn't make it. I'll have to try again on that.

Let's see, what else have I planted in the yard this year? Two Spiral Willows, two Lilacs, some Hollyhocks, a Japanese Maple (Acer) that will be small. Last year I focused on spring bulbs, summer bulbs, roses and moving some of the existing plants to better locations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home