Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It Never Rains in Texas

It never rains in Texas. Or so it seems. I moved to Texas 10 months ago, from NW Arkansas, and you would think by now I'd have figured the weather out. It was dry and hot all summer and I expected that. But come cooler temps and fall I thought the seasonal rain would begin. Nope. Winter? Nope. On a few occasions a storm has brewed and produced some rain. But it's over fast, we don't seem to get much of the variety that is a slow rains, soaking the ground.

Most recently, in the past week to week and a half it has been 80 or so degrees everyday, which seems really warm to me for early March. I know the frost date for region 8 is March 31 so I figured we could get another cold spell. A few individuals, from Texas rather than transplanted, expressed their interest in it "finally getting warm," leaving me to ponder what 80 degrees is.

The problem is, I miss the rain. I loved it when it would shower and then clear. Or rain all day and seem to fit my mood. Or the rain make me feel like I could relax a little. I love love love to sleep to the sound of a gentle rain.

So finally, a break from the drought has arrived. Yesterday evening, Tuesday, it began to sprinkle off and on. During the night it stormed and now the slow rain is expected to continue through the end of Friday. The creek outside the back door is full and the accumulated trash has moved downstream. The pair of ducks that often feed in our area are nowhere to be seen. I want to go walk in the rain, frolic and spin. It's been too long.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home