Monday, March 02, 2009

Plants of the Metroplex

Well, it's spring in Texas and I'm excited. I've spend some time on random warm days over the past few weeks, clearing a small garden area out back of our apartment. The area was covered in English Ivy, which is not native and hard to get rid of. I cut as much as I could and got rid of that, then I sprayed what was left. A couple weeks later, I pulled and pulled what was remaining. Ah, finally, I can see the soil! My husband picked up nails and bits of trash while I pulled the ivy. I have thus far unearthed three small snakes in my efforts.

Based on what I read about eradicating English Ivy, I will have to maintain my spot against new growth. I have a few sprigs coming up, and after borrowing a rake (I gave my brother 90% of my gardening supplies when I moved to Texas-but it's in the blood, I will have a small garden anyway!) and further cleaning the area, I still have more roots to pull but not bad at all.

Two of the snakes I ran across are rough earth snakes. Since they feed on things that would eat my plants they can stay!

My plan for my little garden this year is: zucchini, squash, onions, garlic and tomatoes. Because of the temperatures in Texas I'm also exploring winter crops for planting in the fall. I also hope to put in a few spring bulbs in the fall because I so love the new color of spring. My biggest challenge will be getting proper water to my plants as I do not have an spigot outside.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home